AERC PhD Scholarship 2023/2024: Advance Your Career in Economics. Applications are ongoing for the 2023/2024 African Economic Research Consortium PhD Scholarship. Below are the requirements and how to Apply.
AERC PhD Scholarship 2023/2024: Advance Your Career in Economics
Established in 1988, AERC has been pivotal in bridging the skills gap among professional economists in both Francophone and Anglophone African nations. This year, the Consortium is inviting applications for its PhD Scholarship Programme for the academic year 2023/2024, providing an exceptional opportunity for ambitious individuals from various sub-Saharan African countries.
Affiliated Universities Offering the PhD Programme
The AERC Collaborative PhD Programme (CPP) in Economics is offered at prestigious universities, each one a centre of academic excellence:
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
- University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- University of Nairobi, Kenya
- University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- University of Benin, Nigeria
- University of Yaoundé II, Cameroon
- University of Abomey-Calavi, Benin
- Félix Houphouet-Boigny University, Côte d’Ivoire
AERC’s Strategic Mandate and Mission
The AERC’s mandate is underpinned by the belief that sustainable development in sub-Saharan Africa is attainable through high-quality, local economic expertise. Their strategic intent encompasses a two-pronged approach:
- Research: AERC stimulates intellectual discourse and provides a fertile ground for high-impact policy research.
- Graduate Training: They offer rigorous academic programmes designed to furnish students with the skills necessary for advanced economic policymaking.
Eligibility Criteria: Who Can Apply?
Applicants must meet several criteria to qualify for this esteemed scholarship:
- Educational Background: A Second Class Honours (Upper Division) or its equivalent, in Economics, Agricultural Economics or a related field from an accredited institution.
- Advanced Study: A Master’s Degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics or a related area, complete with both coursework and thesis components, from a recognised institution.
- Publication: Having at least one publication in a peer-reviewed journal offers a distinct advantage.
- Professional Experience: Proven engagement in public sector economic research, management, or training will further strengthen the application.
- Gender and Special Groups: Female applicants and those from post-conflict or fragile states, especially AERC PhD Bridge Programme alumni from the classes of 2017 and 2018, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Process: How to Apply?
Applicants must direct their admission applications to the university of their choice among the listed CPP universities. Each university’s application procedure can be obtained from their official website. Upon receiving an admission letter, applicants should proceed to upload the following documentation on the AERC scholarship portal:
- Application Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Evidence of Admission
- Certified Transcripts and Certificates
For more detailed information, please visit the official AERC PhD Scholarship website.
The final date for application submissions is 31st August 2023.